Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What If...

Have you ever played the 'what if' game? It’s dangerous and often leads to over thinking of past situations - which is never a good thing. The past is the past and there is no way to change it; so why waste time wondering what could have been?

That being said, I subconsciously play this game with myself all the time. It’s not that I want to, but whenever I have an excessive amount of free time 'what if' thoughts pop into my mind. I can honestly say I don’t have any regrets in life. However, looking back, I can think of numerous situations I would have approached differently - we all can.

These thoughts tend to hit me when I’m at peace and am taking in my surroundings. One minute I’m stress free, calm and enjoying life while sipping coffee - the next I’m in deep thought dwelling on the past. Oddly enough, most these thoughts occur when I’m in Europe, and probably have a lot to do with the fact that I’m away from my family and close friends. Being abroad has made me realize what’s most important in life and allows me to give a lot of thought to many different things.

After having 2 very successful pro seasons abroad thus far, I guess the 'what if' that enters my mind most is: what if I played more minutes and had a larger role in college? I’m glad I attended the University of Washington and would do it all again in a heart beat – but after coming into my own these past 2 years on the court and being able to display what type of player I always knew I could be is frustrating. If I had been utilized the right way in college, things might have been different and perhaps I could have been given a shot in the WNBA. That is no longer a goal or dream, but a 'what if' that passes through my mind every now and then.

This is not to take anything away from my career as a Husky. It was solid, as I was a starter all 4 years while averaging 19 minutes, 8 points and 4 rebounds per game. We went to the NCAA tournament twice and almost always were in contention for a PAC-10 title. I had wonderful teammates and received my degree from a very prestigious institution. I met friends that I’ll have for life and contacts that have helped me in the business world. That’s why the 'what if' game is so dangerous. I’d take nothing back but will always wonder what if…

I truly believe that things happen for a reason and that obstacles and deterrents you go through in life are there to prepare you for the future. UW was wonderful for me and I probably would have never become the player I am today if it wasn’t for what I went through and accomplished in Seattle.

Basketball Update: The first round of playoffs are complete – we soundly defeated Povoa 2-0 and now move on to the semi-finals against Vagos. Vagos is a strong team with two very talented Brazilian forwards. Casey and I have our work cut out for us inside if we want to come out with the W. Though undersized, I think our athleticism and quickness will be a big factor. The first game will be played Sunday at Vagos and it is vital for us to get the first win. If we can do that, things will be a little easier coming home the following week, as we would only need one win to win the series. The roadtrip this weekend will be fun, as we will be traveling with the men. They play right after us. Wish us luck! Go CAB!

-BW

Sidenote: GO CANUCKS GO!

No comments: